[IAEP] Running regular X11 apps

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:07:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
>> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here we was discussing the approach used by maximus. They are
>>> basically maximizing/undecorating windows whenever they are mapped (as
>>> long as they are normal windows and not dialogs). Now this works for
>>> something like firefox, but for gimp there is no hint that tells you
>>> that the tools window should *not* be maximized.
>>> About the fullscreen hint. Sayamindu tried out that approach but he
>>> run into problems. One of them was that panels are hidden by
>>> fullscreen windows (and we made the sugar frame a panel). But I think
>>> there was others.
>> Fullscreen seems to be significantly different from maximized +
>> undecorated. The only sugar activity I can think of which uses
>> fullscreen mode at certain times is Record.
> All the activities can use fullscreen actually, it's in the base
> class. In matchbox the effect is just that the toolbars goes away, but
> if you runned them on a standard desktop they would actually be made
> fullscreen.

What happens when you try to make activities full screen in metacity
(by setting the appropriate ICCCM/EWMH hints)  looks like

If you set
maximized = false, undecorated = true, you get

However, in some cases maximized = false, undecorated = true,
resizeable = true can make metacity assume that the application is
trying to become full screen (apparenly certain versions of Adobe
Reader and a few other apps do this), and then you get back

Sayamindu Dasgupta