[IAEP] Running regular X11 apps

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri Jun 27 13:47:30 EDT 2008

dia folk are working on a feature that allows either the gimp style (SDI) or
the windows style (MDI).  Don't know when it will be released.  Gimp is
available via the "gimpshop" fork as an MDI application.  Does this help?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> >> There are ways we can implement different behavior for different
> >> windows (for example the maximus approach could be extended to do so).
> >> The problem is, how do we know which windows should be displayed
> >> fullscreen (say the firefox or the gedit one) and which not (the
> >> gimp)? afaik there is no window hint which could help us there...
> >>

> > Also note that Metacity is reputed to be a decent code base to work in;
> > a simple modification isn't unreasonable....
> >                   - Jim
> >

> Metacity seems to have pretty legible code - my hack to make it show
> all windows in maximized + undecorated mode took only around a few
> lines of code changes
> (
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/sugar_metacity/patches/metacity_sugarify.patch<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Esayamindu/sugar_metacity/patches/metacity_sugarify.patch>
> ).
>
> Cheers,
> Sayamindu
>

> > --
> > Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
> > One Laptop Per Child

> --
> Sayamindu Dasgupta
> [http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings]

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."