[IAEP] Running regular X11 apps

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:10:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 11:19 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
>> There are ways we can implement different behavior for different
>> windows (for example the maximus approach could be extended to do so).
>> The problem is, how do we know which windows should be displayed
>> fullscreen (say the firefox or the gedit one) and which not (the
>> gimp)? afaik there is no window hint which could help us there...
>>

> There are ICCCM/EWMH hints to request full screen behavior, already
> implemented by window managers: e.g. totem or other video players use
> these routinely.

Here we was discussing the approach used by maximus. They are
basically maximizing/undecorating windows whenever they are mapped (as
long as they are normal windows and not dialogs). Now this works for
something like firefox, but for gimp there is no hint that tells you
that the tools window should *not* be maximized.

About the fullscreen hint. Sayamindu tried out that approach but he
run into problems. One of them was that panels are hidden by
fullscreen windows (and we made the sugar frame a panel). But I think
there was others.

In general the downsides of the fullscreen hint approach are the same
of using maximize+undecorate in the sugar Activity implementation.
i.e. normal applications that you likely want fullscreened on the XO
(firefox for example), would require code modification to do so. Maybe
that's something we can punt on, don't know...

Marco