Running regular X11 apps

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Jun 27 05:12:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:38 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

>>> Something that I wonder about the maximus approach... If you maximize
>>> the window when it's already mapped, won't you get a visible redraw?
>>>
>>> The advantage of the maximus approach to me is that you get
>>> applications like firefox to run fullscreen without code changes.
>>
>> for firefox, wouldn't running it in kiosk mode on it's own desktop work
>> without code changes and without having to do the backdoor trickery that has
>> been done up till now?
>
> I'm not familiar with firefox kiosk mode, but I suppose it would.
> Though there are many other applications which would make more sense
> to run fullscreen with no decoration, and which doesn't have a kiosk
> mode.

I'm looking for the cheap wins first ;-)

when people talk about different desktops, doesn't this also imply
different window managers for each one? if this is the case, then it
should be fairly simple to define a window manager that defaults to
opening the app fullscreen and has minimal (or non-existant) decorations
on the window.

this wouldn't require changing any code on any apps, just selecting the
right window manager for that desktop (if the app never opens secondary
windows it doesn't need any decorations, if it does, it may need some or
all of the traditional decorations)

David Lang