Running regular X11 apps

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:31:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I gathered from my experiments, I think it makes sense for
> us to go with Metacity + maximus. That would require no code changes
> in metacity and minor changes in sugar. If we want to support activity
> icons though, we would probably require some more code changes in
> sugar.

Maximus won't handle the gimp AFAIK.

Can't regular activities just ask to be maximized
and/or ask to be the same size as the screen?
The common Python libraries could do this.

The critical thing here is switching between multi-window
programs that have stuff like floating toolbars. I suspect
that a one-desktop-per-activity policy will get you that.

If metacity needs to change, then it changes. Changing it
might involve a new freedesktop.org specification, so that
the changes don't become some sugar-specific hack.