Parallel desktops

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Jun 26 21:59:16 EDT 2008

Hi,

   > There have been periodic suggestions, including some by potential
   > OLPC buyers, that they would be more interested if the project
   > offered a GUI that more closely resembled the environments to which
   > they are accustomed.

There's another use case, unmentioned, which is the G1G1 community.
Some of these donors expect a laptop that follows their expectations
about computers:  robust support for wireless access points, printing,
office automation programs, and loading files from a filesystem without
finding a clever way to inject them into our journal first.

Instead of (or as well as) preparing a separate disk image, we could
prepare a Desktop activity which launches an Xfce session and includes
some office tools, the standard NetworkManager applet, a configurable
CUPS installation, and so on.  This could reduce our support load,
allowing us to proceed on with our regularly-scheduled world-saving.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>