etoys now available in Debian's non-free repository

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jun 26 20:20:38 EDT 2008

  Albert,

> The very foundation of the Linux development community
> (which Squeak developers are asking to be accepted by)
> includes an expectation that software can be handled in
> certain ways.

  I don't know if it is *very* foundation, yeah there is an
expectation.  I know it because I was one of them.  But the questions
are that what would be the greater benefit for everybody, and whether
the exepectation justifies to limit other people's freedom.

  The technical stuff you wrote below (ah, Bert replied, too) *can* be
done (though not common practices) with Etoys/Squeak.  How many times
you try to spread the same false information, the fact doesn't change.
Anyway, you now seem to agree that Etoys qualifies as open source.
That is good.

> and a certain degree of modularity (parts are interchangable across
> similar projects and versions, allowing distributions to mix and
> match).

  Again and again and again, you can just write a method or two
internally or externally and send it to your friend or post it to
trac, etc.  And a person who are using similar versions of Squeak, he
can just load it.

-- Yoshiki