Want to package PostgreSQL for OLPC

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:44:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim at commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 08:48 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> How hard is it to get a backport of Pg8.2/8.3, plus some key
>> dependencies (php-pgsql, python-pgsql, pam-pgsql) recompiled to use
>> the new libpq, all on F7?
>
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org ;)
>
> I have already built all PG combinations against Fedora 7-8-9 and RHEL
> 4,5.
>
> We have compat packages, and all pam-pgsql, etc in that repository. So,
> using those files won't be a problem.

Fantastic! So python-pgsql and php-pgsql are there too?

> Sure, it is doable -- I can do it for you.

Excellent news -
> So, please let me know when you need the config files, and also how can
> I submit those packages to OLPC repository.

When? Yesterday ;-)  - but perhaps there is no need for rebuilding the
packages. What I am wondering about is what the best solution is to
maintain those alternative configurations long-term.

Perhaps we could have a postgresql-server-altinit package that
provides an alternative init script + config files and disables the
init script from postgresql-server. The alternative init check memory
size, and starts with the appropriate config files.

That would allows us to keep tracking the vanilla postgresql-server
package, and just use the "smarter" startup scripts...

What do you think?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions