Want to package PostgreSQL for OLPC

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 08:48:56 EDT 2008

2008/6/25 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim at commandprompt.com>:
> I would like to assist packaging PostgreSQL for OLPC.
> I'm the upstream packager for PostgreSQL, and I also maintain 30+
> packages for Fedora+EPEL.
> What should I do next?

Hi Devrim! Thanks for getting in touch - I am the guy looking after
the School Server, and that's where we need Pg. Right now, we are
based on F7 and though we plan to move to F9, that will take a little
bit of time. I am hoping to have Pg 8.2 or 8.3, and I think F9 already
has it.

How hard is it to get a backport of Pg8.2/8.3, plus some key
dependencies (php-pgsql, python-pgsql, pam-pgsql) recompiled to use
the new libpq, all on F7?

Also - I see you work at CommandPrompt -- so I'll throw a wishlist
item I have on my list in your direction. Perhaps you, or someone at
CommandPrompt has something similar. With Pg packaged, what we will
need to come up with is ~3 sets of config files tuned for different
memory footprints. The same XS image will be used in hosts with
various memory configurations - 256MB RAM on XO hardware, 1GB on the
recommended config, and high-end hosts may have more RAM.

Pg cannot take all of that memory, but perhaps 15%-20% is a reasonable
footprint. The workload for Pg is mainly Moodle and MediaWiki.

One of the key things for the XS is that we should not OOM, and our
working set _must not_ end up in swap. And we have several services we
have to run, so it's a bit of a tough diet on RAM usage. We gotta
sweat every MB :-)

cheers, and thanks,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions