etoys now available in Debian's non-free repository

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jun 24 14:18:31 EDT 2008

Am 24.06.2008 um 20:04 schrieb Albert Cahalan:

> I'm glad that Debian didn't break the rules for etoys.
> You're claiming to be open source, yet you've LOST the
> source code decades ago. Hacking up binary images is
> shockingly horrible software non-engineering.

Sorry Albert, this just shows your shocking ignorance.

*All the source code* for *every* piece of byte code in the image is
available, and not only that, we even *ship* it (unlike all those GPL
C binaries where you have to go out of your way to find the source,
let alone being able to modify it). You can open a system browser
right on the XO and inspect and modify every bit of the system.

Please take your propaganda elsewhere.

> GNU Smalltalk is built in a relatively normal way. OLPC could
> ship that instead, assuming that Smalltalk is desirable.

It is not Smalltalk that is desirable, but Etoys. I'd be very
interested to hear of equivalent software packages.

- Bert -