[Techteam] [sugar] Making updating easier and Planning for Support

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Mon Jun 23 10:36:17 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Two releases per year make sense.  Particularly when add in the fact that
> we have two hemispheres with opposing springs and falls.

Only if you assume we can get countries in lockstep with us. Any
number of things can distract the local team from making the upgrade,
and - wham - they'll be unsupported. When it happens, rather than
leaving them in the cold I suspect we'll end up with 3 or 4 versions
to support -

> One way of handling the 'stale' issue is to detach activity releases
> from OS releases.  I currently am working on modifying
> addons.mozilla.org to serve activities for
> activities.sugarlabs.org.

Sugar and activities can be making releases a lot more often - and I
think OLPC should be doing the same. It only makes sense to tag a
long-term-support release once you've been making smaller ones.

At the end of the day, countries want the whole set (base OS, Sugar,
activities) as one package. The don't have the expertise or drive to
build their own.

cheers,

 - ask interesting questions