[Techteam] Adding a "Next release" milestone in trac

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:50:50 EDT 2008

I'm not suggesting changes to the release naming at all.  I'm arguing
that a ticket slated for 8.1.1 should be in milestone 8.1.x and have a
tag identifying it specifically as "8.1.1"

The point is that 8.2.0 (for instance) is a major release milestone,
but we will be supporting these releases for a full year, during which
we'll no doubt have 8.2.1 through 8.2.4 (or more).  I'm suggesting
that we name the milestone 8.2.x (omitting the minor release number,
but alluding to it with the variable) such that we don't have to add a
bunch of bugfix milestones in the future, and can instead use the
tagging schema proposed previously to shuffle tickets around within a
major release milestone.

Then, after a full year has passed and 8.2(.x) reaches EOL, we can
easily call up any tickets at all in the 8.2.x milestone, move them
forward to 9.1.x or drop them, and then remove the 8.2.x milestone
completely.

-  Eben