Making speech-dispatcher python API support asynchronous socket communication

Tomas Cerha cerha at brailcom.org
Fri Jun 20 09:45:43 EDT 2008

Hemant Goyal wrote:
> Any clues/hints ?

Hello Hemant,

I'm sorry I can't take deeper look into that right now, but at least I
will try to give some hints.  I am the author of the Speech Dispatcher
backend for the Orca screeen reader.  I was facing a similar problem
there and I solved it by passing all callbacks to the gidle thread.  All
SD communication is performed from the GUI thread, but the callbacks
don't perform any actions themselves -- they only schedule these actions
to be performed within the idle thread.  It works surprisingly well.

Just look at the code.  The important part is in the `_say_all()'
method.  It's in the Gnome SVN:

http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk/src/orca/speechdispatcherfactory.py

Not sure whether this may help in your situation, though.

Best regards, Tomas