cafe_ccic/ov7670 hang on boot

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Tue Jun 17 14:44:34 EDT 2008

Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> The hang occurs somewhere inside/below ov7670_write_array.
>
> I'm just wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions here?

I've seen the bug report go by, but I'm only just today back in the
country after a couple of weeks on vacation.  I'll look into it, but it
will probably be a couple more days before I can do that.

My initial guess is that something in the i2c layer has created some
kind of locking confusion.  i2c has changed a lot, and the interface
used by the Cafe/ov7670 drivers is not now the preferred API.  Sleeping
after register writes will almost certainly *not* be helpful; all of
those operations have timeouts on them, so you would be seeing failures,
not hangs.

jon