Journal, Clipboard and activity instances vs. files (was Re: Recent Updates to Sugar Almanac)

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Jun 16 18:26:42 EDT 2008

Wade,

What you propose sounds difficult for a kid to master.  For myself, I'd
like external storage to be treated differently from Journal entries and
to *look* like its being treated differently.  External storage could
have files and directories, you could navigate through them with a
Midnight Commander-like interface, and you could lauch Activities from
files in them if they had the needed MIME type.  This interface would be
for the grownups (teachers), who would be the main users of external
storage.

The current Journal user interface would be left pretty much alone,
because it *does* work for kids.  Meta data would be fixed so that it
persisted across reboots.  Journal entries would *not* be made for
Activities that don't really need them (Terminal, Log Viewer, etc.  The
Activity would specify that it did not want to be resumeable).

James Simmons