Text To Speech in Read Etexts improved again

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Jun 16 16:12:38 EDT 2008

Hemant,

Does that mean you are making changes in the speech-dispatcher API
itself?  That could complicate things, since I'd need your version to be
on my test boxes.  Nothing I can't do, but that will make it more
difficult for Ed to do his demos in Ubuntu.  It would have been nice to
avoid threading when I wrote the TTS code to begin with, but now that
the code is in there and working fine I don't see it as a problem so
much.  I really need espeak to do a better job on the callbacks.  Or to
replace espeak with Festival, which Hynek said worked better.

I already sent you my non-Sugarized version of Read Etexts.  That's what
I would modify first to try out the new API, since that's much easier to
test than the full version.  You could hack on that one yourself.  It
might save you some time waiting on me.  Then I could modify the full
Activity and test it.

Thanks,

James Simmons