Upgrade G1G1 using autoreinstallation method

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Jun 14 16:20:10 EDT 2008

Hi David,

<quote who="David Leeming">

> To see if we could duplicate our problem, we tried with another AP: We have
> a VSAT set up near the village where we are deploying a trial with 50
> children in PNG. It has a reliable wireless AP and you can associate both
> "grown up" laptops and XOs no problems. The XOs will then see the Internet
> and also other XOs and the activities will share OK. This AP has a DHCP
> server on the wireless side. In fact, there is no other as the AP connects
> straight to the VSAT modem, which does not have DHCP set up, via a switch.
> If one pulls the cable out on the LAN side of the AP the XOs cease to share
> and quickly drop out and look for the mesh. So, this duplicated the problem
> I described.

I just found this which might help. Similar problem with that AP. Might
help.

  http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=223860

> I am now told that a jabber service is needed to keep the XOs interested and
> reliably collaborating, that maybe is the cause? Do you concur?

That shouldn't impact them getting a DHCP address though, I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Pia

--
OLPC Australia                                           http://olpc.org.au/
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

    "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy
      condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness
     experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death,
   life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's
                    Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks