Koji Tags for 8.2.0

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Jun 13 00:23:50 EDT 2008

Marco, Dennis, and I talked this afternoon and evening about how to
arrange our Koji tags for the 8.2.0 release. Assuming no serious
objections are raised by either you or the Fedora infrastructure and
release-engineering teams, we will take the OLPC-3 [1] CVS branch,
freeze the dist-olpc3 tag, and create dist-olpc3-{devel,testing,updates}
and dist-olpc4 tags.

  [1]: OLPC-3 represents our third buildroot. Buildroots contain the
  compilers and basic system libraries necessary to build other
  packages.

+ dist-olpc3-devel - the site of ongoing development.

  By default, your packages will be built into this tag.

  (If we find it helpful in the future, we can create some tags like
  dist-olpc3-devel-sugar or dist-olpc3-devel-wireless to separate
  unrelated streams of development. We'll cross that bridge when we
  come to it.)

+ dist-olpc3-testing - things that are ready for QA.

  Will be used by the OLPC release team [2] to generate builds
  suitable for consumption by QA.

  [2]: (Currently yours truly; please contact me for exciting volunteer
        and employment opportunities.)

+ dist-olpc3-updates - things that pass QA.

  When we need to roll release candidates, we'll do so by snapshotting
  dist-olpc3-updates. For example, when we get ready to release 8.2.0,
  we'll produce a tag like dist-olpc3-8.2.0. (Maybe with an rc<N>
  attached?)

+ dist-olpc4 - Rawhide tracker + buildroot experimentation

  Will contain any OLPC-specific changes needed to make Rawhide-based
  builds. Will also be suitable for buildroot experimentation.
  Eventually, if this works out, we'll add
  dist-olpc4-{devel,testing,updates} and dist-olpc5.

Questions? Complaints? Pet peeves?

Michael