Questions about Customization Dirs

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Jun 10 23:57:23 EDT 2008

A while ago, Walter mentioned that we'd like to be able to customize things
like keyboard and internationalization settings. These settings are loaded by a
program called 'olpc-session' maintained in the olpc-utils package.

Unfortunately, when I set out to implement support for this feature, I
discovered two questions which I couldn't answer:

 1) What should we call the customizations directory?

   ~/customizations
   ~/.customizations
   ~/.envdir ?
   ~/<your suggestion here>

 2) How should we process the contents?

   At present, olpc-session _sources_ ~/.kbd and ~/.i18n. If we permit these
   files to be modified by customization key, then we have immediately offered
   any attacker a root-level shell injection attack available on the next
   reboot.

   Can we force these files to match strict (safe) regular expressions?

   Should we write a careful parser for the intended values?

   Other options?

Thanks,

Michael