Read Etexts now supports Text To Speech

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 11:14:27 EDT 2008

Hi Edward,

> Ubuntu packages are already available for speech-dispatcher, espeak, and
> festival, so it isn't difficult to set up a demo.  You can use apt-get.  You
> would have to modify a configuration file to use the espeak module (not
> espeak-generic) and you would have to start speech-dispatcher by hand before
> doing the demo.  There is a way to get it started automatically, but I never
> bothered to find out what it is.  The instructions on the wiki are *close*
> to being right.  Just substitute using the espeak module for espeak-generic
> and don't bother modifying the espeak config file.

The debian package information is available here:

 http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/speech-dispatcher OR

http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd/snapshot-debian/

Hemant's RPMs will be specifically for the XO.  Having special RPM's for the
> XO is desireable because we don't have a lot of disk space to work with and
> the usual package for speech-dispatcher brings in festival and other stuff
> that wouldn't be needed.  This isn't a problem for ubuntu or debian running
> on a regular PC.

Actually the RPM package at the moment is being made for the Fedora
community in general. Once that is done, perhaps a special package with less
features for OLPC can be made quite easily.

Best,
Hemant