[Fwd: Re: #7116 NORM Never A: Possible European G1G1 program needs appropriate keyboards]

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jun 9 06:07:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:28:34AM +0200, Sebastien Adgnot wrote:
> Do you have an idea of the minimum quantity required so the
> manufacturer could build laptops with localized keyboards?

I'm sure they would.

It wouldn't be a minimum quantity per se, it would be a set of
quantities and how much they would cost in tooling, production, separate
shipping, and integration.  Then OLPC would have to choose which is
economically sensible, including how long it would take.  Kim's
statement was simplifying the realities of production costing, and
advising that it is already judged too expensive for a G1G1.  I take it
that the incremental cost of localised keyboard would increase the cost
per unit to the point where it would not generate sufficient units sold
by the G1G1, or the delay would be so considerable as to make the plan
void.

If a review of the decision is needed, better to focus instead on new
information that can be integrated into the review ... such as whether a
non-localised keyboard would be usable, and what quantity you think you
will need.  Maybe you already mentioned that though.  I'm focusing on
one reply out of many.

p.s. I'm a volunteer, not an employee.