New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sun Jun 8 12:00:30 EDT 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> To clarify, there are at least seven different directions to follow here:
> a) telepathy-based collaboration on 802.11g networks
> b) telepathy-with-cerebro-backend collaboration on 802.11g networks
> c) cerebro-based collaboration in 802.11g networks.
> d) 802.11s meshing in dense networks
> e) 802.11s meshing in sparse (wide-area) networks
> f) 802.11s Mesh Portal Point functionality (bridging a school 802.11g
> network to a neighborhood 802.11s network)
> g) OLSRd wide-area meshing on an 802.11g sparse (wide-area) network
> h) plain ol' 802.11g in 100+ node schools

one more (which may be considered a varient of d)
i) 802.11s meshing in bad RF environments

this is where there are a small number of XO machines (so you don't have
the 802.11s traffic issues), but where there are a large number of other
802.11 devices in the area

a unofficial testbed for this would be to take a half dozen XO machines to
a tech conference and try to run them.

David Lang