Games depending on OpenGL and GLX - any way to test on XO with regular OLPC image?

Kent Dahl kentda at pvv.org
Sun Jun 8 04:37:21 EDT 2008

Hi.

First, short introduction. I worked a wee bit on the OLPC for Opera
Software a long time ago, and recently got myself two XO's through the
G1G1 program. I'm setting these up for a niece and nephew, trying to get
them tech savvy and hopefully programming in the future (although I
prefer Ruby to Python myself :P).

Because of this, I'm trying to load quite a few games onto the XO's,
especially various Linux games that I've introduced them to before that
they like. However, I see that quite a few of them have OpenGL and GLX
dependancies, despite being 2D games (such as SuperTux), and others that
are 3D but aren't too heavy. (TuxRacer/ppracer work OK on the Asus
EeePC, so I'm curious how it fares on the XO.)

Sorry if this has been done to death, but I've found very little info on
how to get OpenGL and GLX working on the XO. There's fairly detailed
instructions for doing it using Ubuntu on the XO, but I really just want
to augment all the cool Sugar apps with some games they are familiar
with, to get them more "sucked into" the XO, not install a separate OS
and teach then Linux (that's a few year ahead :).

Right now I'm looking at anything I can do with "yum install", some
configuration fiddling and a slap-dash Sugar activity to launch it. For
example, SuperTux and ppracer install OK from yum, but neither will run.
GLX extension not present on display :0, all libs seem to be installed,
to get Mesa to provide the GLX extensions in the xorg server ATM.

P.S.: So far, I've been pleasantly surprised how well these games work
on it:
* Ri-li - excellent toy-train game http://ri-li.sourceforge.net/
* Frozen-Bubble
* FizzBall demo (commercial)