speed reading activity?

Urko Fernandez tturktime at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 10:53:04 EDT 2008

There seems to be two problems for a speed reading activity in the XO.
The first is that some of those technologies are patent encumbered, but
it seems that the main technology or concept behind speed reading,
called rapid serial visual presentation, it's either patent free or free
of royalties. So writing an activity based on RSVP could be feasible.

The second problem could be that this can be a battery drainer, the
screen is constantly swapping words. I've written a flashcard activity*,
and I've implemented a way to see the answer using RSVP; don't have a
real XO (I'm developing using sugar-jhbuild under Ubuntu) but I could
modify what I've coded to do a test activity to see how much battery
reading a test that way consumes.

If speed reading activity is to be written, you could also take
advantage of the screen size, because RSVP seems to be suited for small
screens, like mobile phones and PDAs and the rest of the XO's screen
could be used someway or another.

Cheers,

Urko

*http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Assimilate