New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Fri Jun 6 16:31:41 EDT 2008

In the spirit of escalating collaboration/communication use cases to
more realistic scenarios, I 'd like to propose creating the following
multihop network testbed.

This testbed will involve about 70 nodes, but most are already deployed
(about 50 nodes already exist at 1CC and 8 at the Media Lab). About
10-12 new XOs are necessary to form the multi-hop network:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116432384591811010127.00044f046ce8f6f83aae3

This testbed will be used to:

1) stress communication over the mesh network; this can be as large as a
10-hop network spanning from my apartment (Eastgate) to a friend's
apartment in Ashdown.

2) Test collaboration using Cerebro on a mixture of devices including
XOs, x86 machines (Linux and Windows) and mobile phones. Cerebro runs on
each one of those independently (including OpenMoko Freerunner), but
this testbed could be used as a "backbone" network for devices that
would otherwise be out of range (such as a mobile phone on one side of
campus and a PC on the other).

Action items:
1) secure space (especially at Infinite Corridor) to house XOs.
2) setup and automate software updates over the network.
3) last but not least, get about 10-12 XOs from OLPC ;-)

Comments/additions are most welcome!

Pol

--
Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos