[OLPC Security] G1G1: Security, to enable or disable...

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Jun 5 11:16:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Kim Quirk wrote:

> 1 - I thought requiring signed images was part of our bitfrost
> security. Doesn't it provide some protection from malicious images?
> Assuming we get to the point where upgrading is an easy click from the
> G1G1 machine, then we want to be sure that people don't mistakenly
> load non-signed images. If you are not a developer; doesn't this add a
> level of protection that we want for 90% of G1G1 recipients?

how about an option to install a 'tester key' that would let a machine
download test builds that are then signed by a different key then the
production builds. by comparison a developer key would let them install
anything.

> 2 - I believe our support issues will go up significantly as people
> who have little or no experience are encouraged to download all sorts
> of untested builds with no easy way to get back to a working system.
> To feel better about the support issues, I would like the one-button
> push that restores a laptop to factory default. Actually walking
> people through a cleaninstall is a very time-consuming process right
> now.

there is currently a one button reboot to the prior version, so people
wiil only need to do a cleaninstall if they install two broken builds in a
row, _and_ can't use either build to install a good build (which is
unlikely becouse they used the older one to install the one after that, so
they should be able to use that older one to install a working build)

David Lang