what about having network connections inhibit sleep?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Jun 4 21:41:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>> what do people think about the idea of making the existance of established
>> TCP connections inhibit sleep?
>
> What release are you running?  Auto-suspend isn't enabled in production releases.
>
> Joyride should be awakened from suspend by any received unicast (TCP) packet,
> so I'm not sure why you saw it hang in mid-download, if the update was one long
> continuous TCP download.  But if it's rsync, maybe it's driven from the client
> end (and if the client suspends, the server never sends anything further).

olpc-update should be touching /etc/inhibit-suspend before it does its
work, so it should not be sleeping.  If it does, and your build was
not ancient, it's a bug and I'd like to know more.

> The real fix is to only force a suspend when the kernel knows no
> process is scheduled to run now or soon, and ato waken in less than a
> whole second.  We're slowly working on those issues.  If we keep
> kludging things like TCP, there's never the time to put in the real fixes.

Yes.  Better integration of suspend and the kernel scheduler is
discussed near the end of
http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080403-olpc-mini-conf/Power/
but I don't think we've made any measurable progress on it since then.
 Dilinger has been resyncing us with upstream, and deepak just started
full-time OLPC work.  We could use help!
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )