[OLPC Security] G1G1: Security, to enable or disable...

reynt0 reynt0 at cs.albany.edu
Wed Jun 4 21:20:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
  . . .
> The original reason is that it allowed our G1G1 users to more fully
> exercise/test our secure boot paths, which are used in our deployment
> countries.  This helps G1G1 users be more representative testers, and
  . . .

I'm a G2G2.  Among my interests was to experience as much
as possible *exactly* what a deployment-country child would
be experiencing when opening an XO for the first time
(anticipation, mystery, caution about breaking something
in limited supply and special, ...?).  If I had any idea
while I was opening it about running it like an expert,
that wouldn't be the experience.  So I was happy about the
security state.  Computing--and the computing use experience
OLPC is sharing around the world--involves a lot more than
hardware and software, IMO.

I also want to be able to examine the XO as thoroughly as
possible from my own (USA, educated, experienced, and so
on) perspective.  In that regard, FWIW I found the various
infos I later could find from olpc a bit unclear or even
seeming at first glance inconsistent about how usable a
G1G1 XO could be as-delivered.  My present understanding
is that I will need a developer's key, and that I can get
one by asking when I'm ready to (though I'm not sure if
I would be able to if I were a non-compsci G1G1), tho I
am willing to accept that this understanding may be wrong.

(FWIW, I'm on this thread only via the security list.)