Trac: reports and queries and schema... oh my!

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Wed Jun 4 16:56:55 EDT 2008

I think sysadmin at laptop.org is the One True Email for such things, but AFAIK
the people with admin access are myself, cjb, hhardy, and jg.

> Is the underlying schema for the Trac database documented anywhere?
> And the modifications from the vanilla install?

We are running "stock" Trac from 0.11dev (the revision is shown in the
lower-left corner). We do have some plugins, but nothing that would alter
schemas like that. I think the only one related to tickets is MasterTickets,
which adds ticket dependencies.

> >> How do I view the query underlying a report?
> >
> > Look at the "Other formats" links at the bottom of the page.
>
> Thanks! Now I can have some hope of figuring out why the resultset
> isn't what I expected.
>

> >> How is it that #6454 is assigned, but doesn't show up under the
> >> owner's active tickets report?
> >
> > Which report do you mean? That ticket is open, but not in the
> "accepted"
> > state. Some people like to use the open vs. accepted states to show
> what
> > they are actively working on right now, others just ignore it and go
> right
> > from open -> closed.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/report/4
> http://dev.laptop.org/report/5
>
> Where is this "open but not accepted" state designated? Status?
> Accepted isn't an option for filtering the Status column. Status
> doesn't appear to be displayed on the ticket details page. How do I
> tell if the state is open or accepted?

The status of a ticket is shown next to its title/summary in (). If it is in
status=="closed", the resolution will also be shown. Look at
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracWorkflow to get an idea of the basic
ticket workflow (we use the original workflow). I would like to move d.l.o
to a custom-built workflow that better matches how the organization works,
but haven't had time. Ticket 6454 is currently in state "reopened", and so
will not show up as "assigned". To move to the assigned state, the assignee
would use the "accept" action at the bottom of their ticket. As I said, the
semantics of this are left open.

> So what recourse do I have when I enter a ticket and nothing happens
> for 3-4 months? Who do we bump and how do be bump them to find out
> what is up with an apparently abandoned ticket?

If you add a comment, the email will be sent. As Michael said, you can try
to directly contact people on IRC/mailing lists if you really think a ticket
has been abandoned.

--Noah