Trac: reports and queries and schema... oh my!

Garrett Goebel garrett.goebel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:23:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

>> How do I create a report? http://dev.laptop.org/wiki/TracReports tells
>> you about reports, but not how to create one...
>
> Unfortunately we cannot allow non-admins to create reports because they are
> unrestricted queries against the Trac database.

Ok. I understand the security and performance concerns there.

If I wanted to create a report, who should I contact?  One of the Trac
admins? Who are the Trac admins? Where is an up-to-date list of Trac
admins kept?

Is the underlying schema for the Trac database documented anywhere?
And the modifications from the vanilla install?

>> How do I view the query underlying a report?
>
> Look at the "Other formats" links at the bottom of the page.

Thanks! Now I can have some hope of figuring out why the resultset
isn't what I expected.

>> How is it that #6454 is assigned, but doesn't show up under the
>> owner's active tickets report?
>
> Which report do you mean? That ticket is open, but not in the "accepted"
> state. Some people like to use the open vs. accepted states to show what
> they are actively working on right now, others just ignore it and go right
> from open -> closed.

http://dev.laptop.org/report/4
http://dev.laptop.org/report/5

Where is this "open but not accepted" state designated? Status?
Accepted isn't an option for filtering the Status column. Status
doesn't appear to be displayed on the ticket details page. How do I
tell if the state is open or accepted?

The query for report 4 is:

SELECT
    p.value AS __color__,
    owner AS __group__,
    id AS ticket, summary,
    component, milestone,
    t.type AS type, time AS created,
    changetime AS _changetime,
    description AS _description,
    reporter AS _reporter
FROM
    ticket t,
    enum p
WHERE
    status = 'assigned'
    AND p.name=t.priority
    AND p.type='priority'
ORDER BY
    owner,
    p.value,
    t.type,
    time

So I'm guessing the key here is status = 'assigned'.

>> Will anyone volunteer to mentor me (hold my hand) on this? Should I
>> contact the ticket's owner directly? How do you figure out the email
>> address by owner name?
>
> For privacy reasons, you cannot get a users email address from their Trac
> username. If someone wants to create a table on the wiki somewhere mapping
> names to people, those that wish to be known can add themselves. If you
> leave a comment on a ticket, it will be emailed to the owner though.

So what recourse do I have when I enter a ticket and nothing happens
for 3-4 months? Who do we bump and how do we bump them to find out
what is up with an apparently abandoned ticket?

cheers,

Garrett