XO communications interface naming

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Wed Jun 4 12:56:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:49:08AM +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Jun 2008 1:21:34 am Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> > I don't have wireless - am using an USB-ethernet adapter instead.
>
> Network adapters are given logical device names using udev rules. See for
> rules matching "net" SUBSYSTEM in /etc/udev/rules.d (usually
> *persistent-net-generator.rules). On first boot, the generator creates a rule
> file (*persistent-net.rules) for all persistent detected devices.
> Subsequently, any hot plugged network device gets assigned the next available
> sequence number.
>
> Does your adapter have a fixed entry in this file? If not, you can add it
> manually. The list of active network devices is in /proc/net/dev and
> under /sys/class/net.

Maybe adding the network adapters to udev rules should be done
build-wide so that we can eliminate the possibility of unintentional
renamings.

See:

# NetworkManager not tracking interface renames
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5931

# msh0 interface with a bogus name (msh0_rename)
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5746

Erik