XO communications interface naming

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Jun 3 15:51:34 EDT 2008

> From a practical perspective though, in XOs, the onboard interface is
> always eth0 these days.

I don't have wireless - am using an USB-ethernet adapter instead.

Once upon a time, my G1G1 XO would set up its wired interface on
'eth0'.  I normally run Joyride, and in the last couple of months
there has been __NO__ regularity in which interface name is used for
which communications interface -- one build will give the 'eth0'
name to the wired interface, the next build will give the 'eth1'
name to the wired interface, the subsequent build is back to 'eth0',
and so on.  [Often, when the interface is 'eth1', the radio
interface (to the non-existent school ?) is given the name 'eth2' --
but the mesh interface name remains 'msh0'.]  I've given up trying
to make any sense out of the names given to the communications
interfaces - I just 'ifconfig' and look for the wired IP address.

mikus

p.s.  If my XO ever suspends, the wired interface is NOT resumed
(and all interfaces get set to the inboard radio).  [Maybe 'suspend'
is something to be avoided by systems having an active antenna.]