Collaboration Requirements

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Wed Jul 30 22:32:47 EDT 2008

Dear Greg and Michael,

It seems to me that we spend more time discussing things, instead of
implementing them. The issue of scalability in large ad-hoc networks has
been around for more than a decade and some pretty descent research
results have been out there for several years now. Even if you pick one
randomly you are guaranteed to scale by a whole order of magnitude
better than OLPC's current implementation. Just pick one and implement
it. I'm afraid that it is no exaggeration if I say that, from a network
engineering standpoing, the current collaboration mechanism is literally
the worse one possible, scaling quadratically with the number of nodes
no matter if an access point is used or not. I do not mean to sound
condescending, but rather note that it is very easy to improve on our
current situation.

I would rather see us spending our time iterating through implementation
of a viable solution, large-scale testing (anyone testing collaboration
with _scale_ in mind using 2-3 XOs should just be fired) and thinking
about how to build and use feedback mechanisms (that do not involve
humans) from actual deployments in schools in the US (where an internet
connection is dependable) wrt our collaboration technology.

Pol

--
Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
Graduate student