Touch pad

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Wed Jul 30 16:28:56 EDT 2008

You wrote:

We (the techteam) have some questions:

 - Are there any XOs for which mouse performance is worse since the
   kernel upgrade?
 - What are the average environmental conditions (humidity level, dust,
   temperature) when you are testing the new driver?

Please answer at your leisure.

_______________________________________

My answer:

So far, I have successfully installed the updated kernel on my B4s but not
on the secure G1G1s as that requires a different approach that I have not
gotten my head around.

I used the updated B4s as my "teaching laptops" at the Batuna trial (see
Youtube link at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Solomon_Islands). I did
notice some misbehaviour. I can't quantify it and it seemed less of a
problem than before. As far as I could tell, the cursor sometimes became
very sluggish but did not jump around as before when the issue was observed.
The 4 finger salute to recalibrate the touchpad worked well. So my
impression is that there is still some misbehaviour of the touchpad but it
is improved. This is however based on only a few days experience.

This was in the Solomon Islands, where it is often above 90% humidity and
32-24 degrees C. Very bad conditions for the touch pad!

David Leeming
OLPC Coordinator, SPC and Technical Advisor, People First Network
Honiara, Solomon Islands