CIS solar charging-correct list?

scott at gnuveau.net scott at gnuveau.net
Wed Jul 30 07:50:58 EDT 2008

Hi Edward,

> > Given the essential need to charge in regions totally devoid of mains
> > power (in our case inland New Guinea),the solar quest is naturally
> > pretty crucial to the whole rollout. It's otherwise akin to being
> > given a 4WD Mercedes, but with no ongoing fuel supply....
>
> Yes, I am putting together a group to research electricity, Internet
> connections, and microfinance in order to get XOs to the poorest and
> most remote villages.

We have done quite a bit of that research with the SolarNetOne project:
http://gnuveau.net/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi

In quite a few areas, VSAT or long range wifi are going to be your only
options on upstream connectivity.  For small scale solar charge
controllers, the Tier project at Berkeley has some open schematics:
http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu/wiki/Power
Also, members of our team have had experience with microfinance of solar
before:  http://self.org

Enjoy,
Scott