CIS solar charging-correct list?

Stan. SWAN stan.swan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 05:38:35 EDT 2008

Greetings- in spite of numerous xxxx at lists.laptop.org categories I
can't find any concerned with solar charging! Can someone please
direct me, as  => devel at lists.laptop.org seems essentially software.

The need arises after being asked to post my recent findings on
charging a OLPC with a new release 10W CIS PV. Tests were made in the
New Zealand winter (which is mostly very sunny with extremely clear
air) ,& although the CIS PV worked wonderfully- especially off angle
&under overcast skies (when it outperformed a 20W polyX PV) - initial
results indicate 10W PVs are marginal for OLPC/XO.

Check pix => www.manuka.orconhosting.net.nz/cisxo1.jpg & =>
www.manuka.orconhosting.net.nz/cisxo2.jpg

Given the essential need to charge in regions totally devoid of mains
power (in our case inland New Guinea),the solar quest is naturally
pretty crucial to the whole rollout. It's otherwise akin to being
given a 4WD Mercedes, but with no ongoing fuel supply....

 TIA  - Manuka ( Wellington NZ)