Cannot boot joyride-2200 from USB stick

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 21:44:49 EDT 2008

Deepak Saxena wrote:
> Sigh++ Bought a 1G microSD with a usb adapter and it happens to be one
> that OpenFirmware cannot talk to so I can't boot off it. Just wanted
> to give you an update that this is still on my plate, just seems to be
> hitting every roadblock in the way of solving it. :O
>
> ~Deepak

One more data point.
After some initial peeking in the ramdisk, I copied the 2212 ext3 image
to a SD card,
inserted it in the XO and tried to boot from it.
That works !!!
Of course, no activities since /home/olpc is also on the SD card and the
jffs does not get mounted.
So it seems USB is the problem. There is one warning message early in
the boot at approximately
2 seconds about using an obsolete function in the sd driver, to use
bus-methods instead.
I am writing from memory, so this is not exact. Could this have
something to do with it, since the
sd driver is needed for USB?

Regards

Ton van Overbeek