Calling all small keyboards

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:48:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> We are looking for examples of keyboards for small children
> present before 1993.
>
> Specifically, we are looking for keyboards whose key-key spacing
> is between 10.8 and 16.4 mm horizontally, and 10.8 to 18.0 mm
> vertically, and with a stroke distance of 0.9 to 6mm.
>
> Thanks for your memories,
> wad
>
> http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT7354209
> http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT7101101
> http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5531529

Reminds me of the Seiko UC-2200 I picked-up at a computer show in '85 or so.

Wristwatch with a 40x24 display screen.(pixels, not characters)
magneto-coupled non-contact interface to a keyboard base with plug-in
application ROM pack, BASIC language programmable, integrated
dot-matrix printer.

Anybody got a BR2325 button cell battery?

I'm not sure how you're measuring keyspace, but this looks close.

horizontal edge-to-edge looks like 18.0 mm
vertical at 10.0 mm
can't estimate vertical stroke, but motion is involved.

Label calls it a
SEIKO UC-2200
CONTROLLER MODEL NO. UM01-0020
Hattori seiko co. ltd