Definition of "Stable Enough To Release" for 8.2.0

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Jul 23 18:37:10 EDT 2008

Greg Smith wrote:

> 3 - Cursor control the same, including number of XOs where it moves
> without input or moves without correlation to finger on touchpad

> 13 - No new cases where the cursor stops responding (AKA hangs) for more
> than 30 seconds.

These 2 are going to be really hard to quantify in hard yes or no terms.
  We can't reproduce the problem with any regularity.  Without a
repeatable method of causing the various failure modes the best we can
get is the overall feeling of "goodness" from the testers.

I've discovered today that our "backport" to the stable kernel won't
work for the deployments where we have the most reports of the problem
occurring.  Our largest installed base use machines in secure mode and
you can't install a new kernel.   I'm not sure how many of them are
willing to do large scale deployment of developer keys to test the
backported driver.

To _really_ see if our new driver is better we may have to just wait
until its out in the wild in the next release or sign a kernel update
with the backported driver.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child