SMS messaging

Ankur Verma ankur at laptop.org
Tue Jul 22 09:18:38 EDT 2008

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for your message.

Though it is an external application, but its intended to be run on server
(Application has similarities with server implementation like it runs
Apache)

> A) If that's an external application, then you have to connect to the
> jabber server as any client/XO. You'll be able to see all the connected
> XO's that are in your jabber roster. Currently we are using an ugly hack
> called "shared roster" meaning you'll see all the connected XO's but we
> plan to drop it soon.
> A solution could be to use Gadget [1] but we currently don't have API to
> search for buddies based on their alias (that's probably something
> useful to have so we could consider to add one).
> Another solution would be for each buddies to subscribe to your
> application (as a Friend) if they are interested about receiving SMS
> messages but that's not very convenient IMHO.

The idea of having the API to search for buddies based on their nicks and
forwarding message to them seems good. One of the solution to forward
message can be a XMPP message, though I am not sure how to implement this.
Can you think of any alternatives?

> B) A server plugin. You'll be able to use the server API (and so be able
> to know which buddies are connected, etc) but you'll be depend on a
> server implementation and your app will have to run on the same box as
> the server.

Server API doesn't let us know about the nicks of  current buddies that are
connected. As Wad meant to say, Jabber IDs are available which are not human
readable and they cannot be mapped to nicks at present.

> C) A XMPP component. That's generally how XMPP gateways work. People
> will have to explicitly subscribe to your component.

I don't have idea of (C). However, it does not seem convenient as students
have to subscribe here.

> If you choose A. then I strongly suggest you to use Telepathy (Gabble)
> as we already have a nice API you could use instead of dealing with XMPP
> directly.

Thanks.

Best,
Ankur