NAND out of space crash

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Jul 21 12:52:04 EDT 2008

There are two issues here that we should be sure to not intertwingle:

1) whatever behavior Sugar may have when low/out of space, during
operation, or at boot time.

2) JFFS2's behavior when the file system is almost full.  When it gets
almost full, it can spend all its time trying to garbage collect, and
you can lose completely (the system sort of gets the "slows", and grinds
to a halt).

As to 2), there are patches done by Nokia (deployed on the N800 and
similar devices) that reserve some extra space and report out of space
before the system "gets the slows".  These are in Dave's incoming queue
to merge into JFFS2 the last I heard.  I don't know if he's merged them.
                        - Jim

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child