Is Cracklib really required in the OS image?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at
Fri Jul 18 15:18:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at> wrote:
>> On 18 Jul 2008, at 18:24, Michael Stone wrote:
>>> We'd like to kill it but haven't gotten to it yet. Please help if you
>>> can! (Talk to dgilmore, dsd, and cscott for advice).
>> Well other than weakly noting that the build logs seem to suggest PAM
>> is currently pulling in Cracklib; and that some googling suggest that
>> Cracklib is only an optional component of PAM; I might go as far as
>> removing Crack lib from my B4 XO and see if it fries anything else in
>> an obvious way (and post the results here).
> Help appreciated!
>  --scott

cracklib is used by pam_cracklib which comes into pam. It is in the
general files /etc/pam.d/system-auth, /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac. Does
removing this impact the BitFrost specification?

system-auth:password    requisite try_first_pass retry=3
system-auth-ac:password    requisite try_first_pass retry=3