LZO support

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sun Jul 20 04:57:37 EDT 2008

Okay, I have become a little more advanced lately, and was able to
compile the kernel zlib and lzo in userspace (last year I gave up...).

So here is the code (with results, the lib file is the compiled lzo 2.03):
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/5/5b/Zlibtest5.tar.gz

Since I did not find any assembly compressor support (only
decompressor), I do not know what did I talked about last time. It could
have been that I have been dreaming about that...

The program needs a test.dat file, I have used "cat */*>test.dat" in
"/var/lib" which gave me a 22 MB file (the code handles a max of 40 MB).
The results are consistent with Erik's results. Since ZLIB has a
compression level parameter, and LZO has different compressor types, I
will test those as well.

Now I think that jffs2 (or any other flash filesystem) should use LZO to
store the data, so if the limit is the flash write speed then it could
write twice as fast. Later, when there is ample power in the battery and
no cpu utilization, it should recompress the data either using a better
LZO or by ZLIB (of course only those files which are old enough, so it
would not recompress files which will be modified soon).

And the results:
started with block size == 4096

LZO test
in size: 22987994