experiencing unexpected OLPC behavior from a misplaced click

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jul 19 14:25:39 EDT 2008

I posted about an experience I had, where I was surprised to find
that my OLPC had become unresponsive.  My reason for posting was to
"alert" others that "surprises may be lurking" for OLPC users.

--------

Greg, you quoted my post, and wrote:
> Can you file a bug on this (dev.laptop.org) and include steps to
> reproduce and test?

I am put into a difficult position when I see comments like this.
If I am prevented from doing something by the current behavior of
the OLPC, and would like that behavior changed to allow me to go
ahead and do the thing I wanted, *then* I will write a ticket.

But here is a case where I did not wait long enough for the OLPC to
draw a pop-up palette, and did not make sure that the cursor was
correctly positioned on the appropriate entry in that palette,
before I 'clicked'.  In other words, it was __I__ who misbehaved.

It is my intention to *not* write a ticket on this.  Aside from the
__user's__ behavior needing to be corrected, I'm not sure what else
would be "ticketable" ??

It might help impatient users if palettes (e.g., in the Journal
screen) were 'instantaneous' instead of 'slow' --  but I imagine the
graphics speed is established by the OLPC processing capability (low
power draw is imperative) and the overall Sugar GUI 'Look_And_Feel'
design -- and can't be changed.  I see nothing in this particular
situation for which writing a ticket would improve matters.

mikus