OFW sad face doesn't say why

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jul 19 06:30:26 EDT 2008

Mitch wrote:
> If you hold down the check key while booting, the firmware will give
> additional information about the boot progress, in both iconic and
> textual form.

I did not realize that.  Now that I went searching for this, saw it
mentioned in the wiki on the 'XO_Troubleshooting_PowerOn' page.  And
yes, with the check key pressed, the firmware did print "trying
sd:\security\devel.sig" and some sort of "invalid" message.  [These
"stand out" from the other texts if one KNOWS to look for them.]

--------

[I haven't been using "chatty" (check key held) mode for booting --
but I've been seeing icons-drawn-by-firmware anyway.]

I WISH there was a comprehensive description accessible of the
__iconic__ information shown by the boot process.   For instance,
for me the green 'olpc' icon disappears from the firmware display
whenever I have a SD card plugged in (but then I normally *would*
see an orange 'SD card' icon).  I seem to get the additional red?
'plugin' icon whenever I have an USB stick or an ethernet adapter
plugged in.  And I have only vague notions about what the various
symbols (that can appear underneath an icon) are trying to tell me.

mikus