running speech-dispatcher as non-root using setuid on XO and accompanying security issues

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri Jul 18 16:53:54 EDT 2008

Hemant,

The point I was trying to make was that the Sugar API itself could have
removed the burden of setting these options from the developer.  An
Activity, with just one line of code, could have set his speech client
to the default values.  An Activity could also, using the API, find out
what the default values are without having to look at speechd.conf.  Or
the Sugar Activity base class could automatically start up a speech
client and give the Activity developer simple methods to use it in his
application, or even automatically speech enable any Activity so that
for instance the contents of the control with the focus could be spoken,
or whatever it is that screen readers for the blind do.  I understood
that the Sugar developers wanted to provide text to speech support to
all Activities, even those written before TTS was available.  To do that
you would have to change the Sugar base classes, etc. anyway.

I don't see it as having redundant configuration.  I see it as having
one configuration specifically tailored for what Sugar needs to do and
to be and another which is for all practical purposes completely ignored.

Just one man's opinion.

James Simmons