Java

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 17 17:35:57 EDT 2008

Tomeu,

> can you check if the java plugin gets installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?
>
> Can you tell me how did you installed it? Which rpms/tarballs did you use?

I'm answering on David's behalf. It sounds like he saw the restricted
formats page and my bug report and got discouraged.

I filed #6465 which is the plugin fails to load ticket. I have tried jre
and jdk 1.5.0_13. The rpms I used are: jdk-1_5_0_13-linux-i586-rpm.bin
and jre-1_5_0_13-linux-i586-rpm.bin. I have tried various update-1
builds and joyride build 2137. This is with various builds of browse up
to 92. I installed Java as described in the restricted formats page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Restricted_Formats

In all cases the behavior is the same. the Java install proceeds
normally. Java is available directly to run Java applications. The Java
plugin is found if I run Firefox under XFCE. The same plugin is not
sucessfully loaded by Browse. The plugin does not show in
'about:plugins' in Browse.

See trac #6465 http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6465 for more details and
discussion.

Dennis,

> I would suggest that you "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin"  and try use
> it  instead.  Fedora 9 gives us a truely free java  its based on openjdk  with
> some bits pulled in from icedtea  to replace the non-free bits.  it passes the
> java test suites and is a certified java.

I will try this and report back.

Bob