Code name for 9.1.0

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:25:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> With olpc-update, it's not critical to update from version x to
> version x+1 - we can skip versions as we don't depend on a particular
> package state. (e.g. You can upgrade from 650 to joyride without
> having to upgrade to 703 first...) In the future that could become
> significant though if we have system changes affecting datastore
> format changes or something which might make support easier if
> upgrading from a known version.

I don't think that the ability to skip versions is going to hold long term.

The current setup is that olpc-updte does away with all the post-inst
and related hooks, which means that running code has to have the
smarts to upgrade/downgrade stored data formats (user documents,
configuration options, etc). This can get burdensome quickly.

As of now for example, the promise of olpc-update (of booting back to
the older version sanely) is broken between update-703 and current
joyride as the ds format has changed in an incompatible way, and
update-703 cannot read the new layout.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions