[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 19:15:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> For these reasons, in my humble opinion, choosing our software packaging
> format and guidelines (of which version numbering is but a single
> aspect) is NOT A TRIVIAL EXERCISE and is not as simple as picking an
> off-the-shelf format. (I wish that the reality were otherwise).

I understand the points you make, but - AFAICS - they don't have much
bearing on versioning (by which I mean to say: the conventional
RPM/Deb versioning scheme works fine). They do impact packaging,
but... they are not *that* special either.

Offtopic: My experience is that you want to spot quickly what you can
rely on, and narrow down on a very small set of things you really want
to improve deeply or reimplement. Focus. "Reinvent the least possible
amount of things for each release." has always worked for me in teams
large and small - bugfixing takes up any slack time.

> Do you require more justification?

Ah well, I know notink of the XO so back to my cave where I try to
reach my goals reinventing the _least_ wheels.

Sorry about the noise.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions