[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:54:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> What _should_ be happening in this thread is the collection of use
> cases.
>
> For a "small" selection of the issues involved, please refer to
>
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Bundles_1
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Bundles_2

I fail to see what makes the XO case different from the rest of the
software world - from the pages you link

 - We need to identify feature vs bugfix revisions, which is something
that versioning can do

 - Keep track of whether we are opening an existing document with a
different program version, in that case, perhaps deal with
"capabilities" - this is orthogonal to versioning, and similar to the
"provides" field in deb packages.

 - If network interop between differing versions of tools is an issue,
we could recommend an on-the-wire preamble where versions and
optionally capabilities are exchanged, giving peers the opportunity to
refuse to interact. Orthogonal to version numbers, however.

These are well understood issues. Yes, we can write use cases, and
argue the business case, and define a procedure around it.

So as soon as we get our shipment of infinite time and resources, I
_promise_ I'll get on to it. In the meantime, a simply obvious
solution that meets our needs is standing in front of us, glowing
warmly .

grab it

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com